INTRODUCING: The ETCH
The ETCH is a vehicle-centric self-rescue tool that will help you be more self-reliant.
The ETCH (Every Trip Carry Hatchet) was invented and built for and by the people at TradLabs. We spend a lot (seriously, A LOT) of time adventuring outdoors on and in vehicles, and while we all have pocket multi-tools for small jobs, we found that we were missing a really strong and ridiculously reliable tool that was able to tackle the big stuff without weighing us down.
We call this category "Every Trip Carry," or ETC, because when you're in the backwoods or on a gnarly trail, you need a little more than an EDC (Every Day Carry) tool can offer. If you are an EDC enthusiast (but even if you're not), then the ETCH will fit right into your car, van, or 4x4, onto your motorcycle, or into your backpack or go bag.
We are proud to design, prototype, and manufacture the ETCH in the USA.
Features, Materials, and Construction
- Weight: 2 pounds 15 ounces
- Length: 19 inches head to toe
- Width: 7 inches hammer to blade
- Super tough AR400 axe blade that can hack through almost anything
- Rigid 9 inch folding arborist saw seamlessly integrated into the handle and locks away safely
- Serrated hook (beard) for climbing, hanging, or building an ad-hoc anchor
- Riveted aluminum and polymer sheath that provides maximum protection for the user and the blade, all with the minimum blade contact so it will not dull the blade over time
- Fully hardened Hammer Face
- Secret bottle opener
- Body: 7075-T651 aluminum alloy with a tensile strength of over 80K PSI
- Head and Hammer: AR400, a 200K PSI abrasion resistant steel most often found in cool places like giant drills and bullet proof targets
- Rivets: Mil-spec aircraft rivets
- Handle: Acrylic poly vinyl chloride (Kydex) handle scales
- Saw Blade: Hardened carbon steel
- Socket adaptor: Stainless steel
100% of the assembly build is done in-house in Washington state, we are 100% designed, prototyped, and manufactured in the USA, and over 90% of our materials are sourced from US manufacturers.
The ETCH axe is constructed to be nearly fail-proof. We built our own custom 20 ton pneumatic-hydraulic press to squeeze the rivets in the aluminum body (fun fact: 7075 aluminum cannot be welded), and they are set well within the Boeing specifications - a global standard in riveting aluminum. The axe blade bevel is hand-ground using a 4 pulley knife grinder. Every ETCH is assembled and QA tested by us.
The ETCH comes with a lifetime functional warranty. We consider cosmetic damage to be a lot like scars: hard-earned evidence of a life worth living. In the unlikely event that you ever need to return an ETCH for repair or replacement, please tell us what happened so we can continue improving our products.